Beef bourguignon is a classic recipe that fits perfectly in your home bistro.
This recipe is made in the Crockpot but you can easily make this recipe in your Dutch oven or Instant pot. So are you ready to learn how to make beef bourguignon? Join me in the bistro kitchen!
Preparing this recipe is quick and simple. While your French beef stew is simmering in the Crockpot you have time for other things.
That is what makes Crockpot cooking so amazing. Prep is usually no more than a couple of minutes. Set the timer and all the hard work is taken care of.
Cooking with the Crockpot express you have options because if you have all the time in the world you use the slow cooker option.
But if you want to make a beef stew fast, all you have to do is turn it to high-pressure cooking and you have the same result but in a fraction of the time.
This is such a classic recipe that you can find it on every good bistro menu because bistro-style contains a good piece of beef.
French beef stew ingredients
This recipe contains loads of vegetables, stock, wine, and beef brisket. To make this recipe put the following ingredients on your grocery shopping list:
- Beef brisket
- Olive oil
- Beef stock
- Tomato paste
- Bay leave
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
How to make beef bourguignon
If you have an Instant Pot, a Crockpot Express you can follow the instructions below. If you use a slow cooker start with browning the bacon and beef in a pan on the stove.
First set your pressure cooker to Brown/Saute. Add olive oil and sauté until brown and crispy. Take the bacon out of the pan and set aside.
You can cut the beef in 2-inch cuts or leave them whole and brown in the pan. In addition, you do not need any added oil.
Return the bacon back into the pressure cooker and sprinkle flour on the beef. Stir thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes.
Finely chop the onion, slice the carrots and mince 1 glove of garlic. Then add to the pan and stir before adding the beef stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme, and parsley.
Take a wooden spoon and stir well before closing the lid and also lock the valve to close. Press the STOP button then select the MEAT/STEW option and High.
Set the timer to 30 minutes and let the pre ssure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then allow the remaining steam to release by opening the valve.
Set to Crockpot or Instant pot to Brown/Saute stir well and allow the sauce to thicken uncovered, for a further 5-10 minutes.
In the meanwhile take a skillet and heat to medium warm. Then add the butter and 1 minced clove garlic. Stir before you add the mushrooms.
Sauté the mushrooms for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally until browned. Subsequently, season them with salt and pepper to taste.
Then add the mushrooms to the Crockpot, stir and you beef bourguignon is ready to serve.
How to make beef bourguignon in the slow cooker
Brown the bacon and beef in a skillet or Dutch oven. Add the onion, carrots, and garlic and stir. Then transfer to the slow cooker.
You can then follow the steps for the wine, broth, tomato paste, thyme and parsley as described above.
Close the lid and turn your slow cooker to High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours and your beef stew is ready to serve.
Serve you beef bourguignon with
You can serve this beef recipe with a number of tasty side dishes:
- Mashed potatoes
- French baguette
- Basmati rice
- Creamy pasta
- Fluffy dinner rolls
- Honey Garlic Carrots
Can you make this beef stew ahead?
Yes, you can and moreover, the flavors of the beef intensify and it gives it time to develop when you make it a day in advance.
Just store it in the fridge and warm in on the day you want to serve it.
Can you freeze beef bourguignon?
The answer is yes this beef recipe freezes really well. Let it cool completely before you transfer the beef in a freezer-friendly container.
The beef will freeze up until 3 months. When you want to serve, thaw the stew in the fridge completely as this will take about 8 hours.
Then put the stew in a Dutch oven and warm over low heat until warmed through. You can also warm the beef in the oven.
Just preheat the oven to 360℉ and warm for at least 10 minutes or until hot.
Why is my French beef stew meat tough?
The most likely reason when your beef is tough is the beef hasn’t cooked long enough. However, if you use a pressure cooker or slow cooker it is almost impossible to get tough beef.
But if you cook this beef stew in a Dutch oven I advise putting the Dutch oven in the oven at 440℉ with the lid closed for about 3-4 hours.
With the lid closed the steam stays with the pan that will keep the meat moist.
I hope you like this beef bourguignon recipe as much as I do and give it a try!
- 1 pound beef brisket, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 50-gram bacon, roughly chopped
- ½ pound fresh small white
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups red wine like Tinto. Merlot, Pinot Noir
- 1½ cup beef stock
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme dried
- 1 bay leaves
- A pinch coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- First set your pressure cooker to Brown/Saute. Add olive oil and sauté until brown and crispy. Take the bacon out of the pan and set aside
- You can cut the beef in 2-inch cuts and brown in the pan
- Return the bacon back into the pressure cooker and sprinkle flour on the beef. Stir thoroughly and cook for 5 minutes
- Finely chop the onion, slice the carrots and mince 1 glove of garlic. Add to the pan and stir before adding the beef stock, wine, tomato paste, thyme, and parsley
- Stir well then close the lid and also lock the valve to close. Press the STOP button then select the MEAT/STEW option and High
- Set the timer to 30 minutes and let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes
- Set the pressure cooker to Brown/Saute stir well and allow the sauce to thicken uncovered, for a further 5-10 minutes
- Take a skillet and heat to medium warm. Add the butter and 1 minced clove garlic. Stir before you add the mushrooms
- Saute the mushrooms for 5 minutes and stir occasionally until browned. Season them with salt and pepper to taste
- Add the mushrooms to the Crockpot, stir and you beef bourguignon is ready to serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 646Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 530mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 40g