When you find a can of salmon in your kitchen pantry you can make this super tasty canned salmon salad!
A quick and tasty recipe that is super tasty! This recipe is done in no time, great for lunch or your next party. I used wild canned salmon that is perfect for this salmon salad. You can add your favorite ingredients just like with my tuna salad recipe. So are you ready to learn how to make a canned salmon salad? Join me in the bistro kitchen!
Everybody has them in their kitchen pantry those canned salmon. Sometimes they are there for years and you have no idea what to do with it.
Now you can make this 10-minute recipe whenever you come across a can of salmon.
This recipe fits perfectly on the bistro menu. Serve it with fresh bread, a bun, toast or on a cracker. You can’t go wrong with this salad.
It also looks so festive and colorful.
When you open the can you will see a lot of skin and bones. The first thing is to remove all of the skin and bones from the salmon.
This recipe calls for lemon to give the salad a fresh taste.
If you are on a low carb or keto diet you can eat this recipe because it fits perfectly in this diet.
Canned salmon salad ingredients
If you want to make this canned salmon salad recipe you need a number of ingredients.
Have the following ingredients ready to turn it into this tasty recipe:
- Dijon mustard
- Red onion
- Smoked paprika
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
How to make canned salmon salad
To make this salmon salad recipe start boiling the egg. As you want to have a hard-boiled egg, boil for 7 to 8 minutes.
To easily peel the shell of the egg put it in cold water right after the boil and leave the egg in the cold water for a couple of minutes.
In the meanwhile finely chop the red onion and the parsley. Put the onion in a big bowl. Remove the shell of the egg and finely dice the egg and add it to the bowl as well.
Then drain the salmon from the can and remove the skin and fish bones. This can be a nasty task but you worth it as you do not want any bones in the salad.
Put the cleaned salmon in the large bowl as well. Take a fork and pull apart the salmon. Add the mayo and Dijon mustard.
Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the salmon. Now combine the salmon with the mayo, mustard, and red onion until fully combined.
Sprinkle the finely chopped parsley and smoked paprika powder on the salad. Put it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Your salmon salad is ready to serve.
Is canned salmon as good for you as fresh?
Canned fish is just as good as fresh as both are a great source of protein. It seems that canned fish has a higher level of Omega-3 than fresh.
That being said canned salmon is cooked salmon and preserved. The texture and color are different from fresh fish being cooked and used for a salmon salad.
Still, you get a great salad when you make it with canned salmon.
Why is my canned salmon not pink?
This is the result of what a salmon has eaten and if it is wild salmon or farmed salmon. Salmon just like flamingoes get their pink color by eating shrimp.
If they use farm-raised salmon that did not have a lot of shrimp in their diet they will be less pink.
What to serve salmon salad with?
This salmon recipe is great to serve with e.g.:
- French baguette – crusty oven-baked French bread is great with this salad
- Dinner rolls – serve on soft, fluffy dinner rolls and eat for lunch
- No-knead bread – cut a thick slice of bread and spread with this salad
- Homemade crackers – having a party put the salmon salad on these homemade tortilla crackers
Other salad recipes
If you like this salad recipe you will love these salad recipes on Fast Food Bistro. Take a look a the following recipes:
Have fun making this easy and fast wild canned salmon salad recipe!
- 1 can salmon
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ red onion
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- a pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the egg hard in 7 minutes. Drain and put in ice-cold water. Peel the shell, finely dice and set aside
- Finely chop the red onion
- Drain the excess water from salmon. Remove the salmon skin and fish bones. Put the cleaned salmon in a large bowl
- Add the mayo and Dijon mustard. Pull apart the salmon with a fork. Squeeze the fresh lemon on top of the salmon
- Now combine the salmon with the mayo, mustard, and red onion.
- Finely chop the parsley and sprinkle on the salad was well as the smoked paprika
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 190mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g