Cubanos or Cuban sandwich is such a delicious sandwich. Great to serve for lunch
This bread is the Cuban version of the ham sandwich but even better. All you need is a griddle or a grill pan, some soft white bread and meats. So are you ready to learn how to make a Cuban sandwich? Join me in the Bistro Kitchen!
Another great sandwich on the Bistro menu is this loaded baguette. It is a variation to a ham and cheese sandwich.
You need to grill like a panini to make it even better. It gives the meats and cheeses a chance to melt and just like any recipe with melted cheese is always better.
You do not need a special panini toaster but if you have one, by all means, use it. Make this sandwich with a grill, a grill pan or a griddle.
If you have neither, make it in a skillet or in the oven. You make this recipe with Cuban bread.
What is Cuban bread?
Cuban bread is similar to French soft bread. Simple white bread and made like a baguette loaf. It is not crusty but soft like milk buns.
Cubano sandwich ingredients
So what is a Cuban sandwich made of? The answer is simple, just take a look at the list of ingredients below and put them on your grocery shopping list:
- Soft white baguettes
- Cooked ham
- Roasted pork roulade
- Pickles (sliced)
- Dyon mustard
How to make a Cuban sandwich
To make this recipe start with cutting Cuban bread if you can find it in 4 equal pieces or cut soft French baguettes lengthwise.
Take the mayonnaise and spread it on the bottom half of the bread. Then spread about a tablespoon of mustard on the top half of the bread.
Then you can start layering. First, put sliced pickles on top of the mayonnaise. Then add two slices of cooked ham.
Followed by a slice of cheese and lastly the slices of roasted pork roulade. Put the mustard covered bread on top.
Repeat for the second sandwich. Heat a grill, a griddle or grill pan. Put the bread on the griddle.
To press the bread down and turn it into a panini you can put a heavy skillet on top of the sandwich to flatten it.
Then press the skillet down with your hand and leave it on top of the sandwiches and let it grill for 1 or 2 minutes.
Lift the heavy skillet, turn the sandwich and grill the other side of the sandwich for 1 to 2 minutes as well.
Grill until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Your Cubanos sandwich is ready to serve.
Can you use supermarket French bread for a Cuban sandwich?
Yes, you can. Those soft baguettes are a great substitute for Cuban bread. It is even better than a crusty French baguette.
This type of bread will not get warmed through on a griddle or in a grill pan. Whereas the soft loaf will get warmed through, so a great bread to use in this recipe.
Other lunch sandwiches
If you like this sandwich recipe, take a look at the following recipes:
- Egg salad sandwich – the best egg salad on bread? Just try this recipe or serve this salad on toast or crackers
- Club sandwich – the ultimate lunch sandwich is this club sandwich with turkey, lettuce, tomato, and eggs
- Mexican tortas – this is also a great lunch recipe made with chicken, guacamole and refried beans. These tortas taste amazing!
Have fun with this great lunch Cubanos sandwich recipe!
- 2 soft mini baguette
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 6 slices pickle
- 4 slices pork roulade
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons dyon mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Cut Cuban bread if you can find it in 4 equal pieces or cut soft French baguettes lengthwise
- Spread the mayonnaise and spread it on the bottom half of the bread. Then spread about a tablespoon of mustard on the top half of the bread
- Start layering. Put sliced pickles on top of the mayonnaise. Add two slices of cooked ham, a slice of cheese and lastly the slices of roasted pork roulade
- Put the mustard covered bread on top Repeat for the second sandwich
- Heat a grill, a griddle or grill pan. Put the bread on the griddle
- Press the bread down and turn it into a panini with a heavy skillet on top of the sandwich to flatten it
- Press the skillet down with your hand and leave it on top of the sandwiches and let it grill for 1 or 2 minutes
- Lift the heavy skillet, turn the sandwich and grill the other side of the sandwich for 1 to 2 minutes as well
- Grill until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Your Cuban sandwich is ready to serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 563 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 87mg Sodium: 1916mg Carbohydrates: 43g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3.1g Sugar: 4.9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 32g