Try the best egg salad sandwich for a delicious lunch or tasty brunch!
This egg salad is put together in no time. It is creamy and soft and such a great salad for a sandwich, baguette or toast. Are you ready to learn how to make an egg salad sandwich? Join me in the bistro kitchen!
This salad is great for sandwiches but also for your party toast. It is such a creamy salad and it is done in no time.
The salad itself is low-carb and fits a keto diet but only if you leave out the bread or use low-carb bread.
Make on the weekend and serve it for brunch or make a big batch so you always have a simple salad at the ready in your fridge.
This is a great basic recipe that you can customize to your wants and needs. You can find a number of great options further below.
Egg salad sandwich ingredients
To make the best egg sandwich you need a couple of ingredients of which most are in your kitchen pantry or fridge.
Put the following ingredients on your grocery shopping list:
- Red onion
- Sun-dried tomatoes
- Ranch seasoning
- Baguette, a pistolet, sliced bread
How to make egg salad sandwiches
To make this recipe start with boiling the eggs. It is important that the egg yolk is solid enough. Boil them for about 7 to 8 minutes.
Drain the eggs and to stop the cooking process put the eggs into ice-cold water to let them cool before peeling away the shell.
Finely dice the eggs and put it in a large bowl. Now finely chop the red onion and add it to the bowl.
Then it is time to add finely chop sun-dried tomatoes and add it to the bowl before adding the mayonnaise, mustard, ranch seasoning and chopped parsley.
Take a spoon and stir to combine and your salad is done. You can season it with salt and pepper to taste but I find the salad tastes great without.
Spoon it onto a piece of baguette, a pistolet or toasted slices of bread. Your egg salad sandwich is ready to serve.
Store egg salad
You can make this egg salad ahead of time. Advice is to not store a complete egg salad sandwich but keep the salad and bread separate.
- Fridge – you can store the egg salad in the fridge for up to 5 days in the fridge. Keep the salad in an airtight container. Stir thoroughly before use.
- Freezer – you can keep egg salad in the freezer however the structure changes considerably when thawed
When you thaw the egg salad stir thoroughly before you put it on bread.
How to prevent my egg salad going watery
Egg salad can have the tendency to get watery when you leave it for a while. There are a number of things you can do to prevent it:
- Boil – do not overcook the eggs. Do not boil them longer than 8 minutes
- Chill – let the eggs cool before chopping them. A good way to do this is as soon as the eggs are boiled to put them in ice-cold water. Leave them in the cold water before removing the eggshells. If the egg is still warm leave it to cool before chopping
- Bread crumbs – to absorb the liquid in this salad you can add a tablespoon of ultra-fine bread crumbs
- Kitchen paper – if you add e.g. pickle, pat it dry with kitchen paper to not add the liquid of the pickle to the salad
Lower calorie egg salad
As this salad is made with mayonnaise you add calories to the recipe. By substituting the mayonnaise with yogurt or quark you lower the calorie count.
It also provides a fresh taste to your salad. Taste to see if you need a bit of seasoning, like salt and pepper when using yogurt or quark.
How long can I store a boiled egg
You can boil eggs in advance so you have them available when needed. You need to take a number of things into consideration.
When you boil the eggs let them cool straight away by putting them in ice-cold water. Refrigerate the eggs straight away.
It is important to keep the shell on the eggs if you want to preserve them. If you do you can keep them in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Other ingredient options
Egg salad has a number of main ingredients like the egg, mayonnaise, and mustard. You can add a number of great ingredients to make your salad even better.
- Grated carrots
- Sweet red peppers
- Paprika powder
Have fun making this egg salad sandwich!
- 3 eggs
- 2 pistolet
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 small red onion
- 3 small sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ranch seasoning
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- Boil the eggs 7 to 8 minutes. Drain the eggs put them into ice-cold water to let them cool before peeling away the shell
- Finely dice the eggs and red onion put it in a large bowl
- Then add finely chopped sun-dried tomatoes, mayonnaise, mustard, ranch seasoning, and chopped parsley
- Take a spoon and stir to combine the salad
- Spoon it onto a piece of baguette, a pistolet or toasted slices of bread
- Your egg salad sandwich is ready to serve
Instead of 2 pistolets you can use:
- a baguette
- 4 slices of whole-grain bread
- 4 slices of toast
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 365 Total Fat: 25g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 302mg Sodium: 575mg Carbohydrates: 22g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 14g