Today we make fish and chips. Hot fried fish in a batter!
This is the United Kingdom staple dish but it is super easy to make yourself. So are you ready to learn how to make fish and chips? Join me in the bistro kitchen!
Fish and chips fit perfect on the bistro menu. Turn your kitchen into your own fish and chips shop or chippy as it is called in England.
Even though this is a very simple recipe there is a lot that can go wrong.
Especially with the batter which can be too:
- Thick batter – your batter should be thick enough to stick to the fish but not too thick so there is more crust than fish
- Tasteless batter– put enough seasoning in the batter like salt and pepper
- Oil – use fresh oil so your fish fries straight away. If you use old oil or cold oil it will have an effect on the taste. Old oil or cold oil will result in a lot of oil in the batter and this is not good.
Fish to use for fish and chips
You can make this fried fish with different types of fish. It is important to choose a firm fish so it will stick together in the oil.
You can make this recipe with:
Fish and chips ingredients
To make this easy dinner dish with just a handful of ingredients. Put the following ingredients on your grocery shopping list:
- Cod fillets
- Baking soda
- Sparkling water
- Oil for frying
How to make fish and chips
To make this fish recipe start with the batter. Take a big bowl and add flour, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
Whisk the ingredients together to properly combine the flour. Then add sparkling water to the flour and whisk into a thick batter.
Set aside for a minute so the batter can thicken. Lower the fish fillets in the batter and coat on both sides so all of the filets are covered with batter.
Take a deep skillet and add about 1/3 of the skillet with vegetable oil. Then heat the skillet until medium hot.
Test the oil to see if it is ready for frying and pour a little bit of batter. The oil is hot enough when the batter starts to bubble straight away.
Fry the fish for about 5-7 minutes per side or until golden brown. Take the fried fish out of the skillet and drain on kitchen paper.
Traditionally sprinkle the fish and chips with malt vinegar or onion vinegar. Make some baked fries and you are ready to serve.
Serve fish and chips with
This fish recipe with chips is a meal itself but you can serve it with more side dishes like:
Condiments for fish dishes
You can serve your fish and chips with:
- Tartar sauce
- Curry sauce
Store fried fish
If you made too much, fried fish you have a number of option to store them:
- Refrigerator – if you are going to eat the fish within 2 or 3 days you can store it in the fridge. Wrap in foil or an airtight container
- Freezer – if you want to keep it longer wrap in foil and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Have fun making this fish and chips recipe!
- 6 cod or filets
- 120 ml sparkling water
- 100-gram flour
- 5-gram baking soda
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Oil for frying
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and pepper with a whisk. Add the sparkling water and whisk through into a thick batter
- Put the fish fillets in the batter and coat on both sides so all of the filets are covered with batter
- Take a deep skillet and add about 1/3 of the skillet with vegetable oil. Heat when you add a bit of batter it should start to bubble straight away. Fry the fish for about 5-7 minutes per side or until golden brown
- Take out of the skillet and drain on kitchen paper
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 307Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 435mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 48g