Hash browns are amazing! You can serve them for breakfast or as a side dish
These can easily be made from scratch and taste so much better than anything store-bought. Season to your liking and you are good to go. Ready to learn how to make hash browns? Join me in the bistro kitchen!
Hash browns come in many shapes and sizes. They can be prepared in various ways. Some consider it the ultimate breakfast food that needs to be served with eggs.
Others also eat it as a side dish. In either case, hash browns or hashed browns are made with a limited number of ingredients and that is what we love.
It is quick, simple, tasty and easy to prepare another thing we love as well.
Hash browns versus rösti
If you know rösti you might wonder what is the difference compared with hashed browns.
Some say there is no difference while others say that hash browns are made like small potato patties and rosti as a pancake.
There is also an explanation that rosti is made with raw potato and hash browns with cooked potatoes.
Hash browns ingredients
For this potato recipe, you only need 4 ingredients and a hot skillet. It is also handy to have a mandolin slicer ready.
This will make life so much easier. Put the following ingredients on your grocery list:
- Starchy potatoes
- Salt and pepper
How to make hash browns
Start this recipe with the potatoes. Peel them and wash the potatoes with cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel.
Peel the onion as well but do not cut or slice. Take a mandolin slicer and coarsely grate the potatoes and onion.
Put the mix of potatoes and onion in a clean tea towel. Then twist the towel to squeeze out the excess liquid.
Keep on twisting and squeezing until no excess liquid comes out. You will be surprised to see how much liquid you can squeeze out.
Put the potato-onion mixture in a large bowl. Beat a medium size egg and add to the mixture. Stir to combine.
Add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Put in more than you would normally do without it the hash browns will taste bland.
Thoroughly mix the ingredients. Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat with olive oil. Take a big spoon and put it into a round heap into the skillet.
Press down to slightly flatten the patties. Turn the heat to medium. Bake until golden brown this will take about 5 minutes before you turn them and bake the other side.
Ready to serve.
How to store homemade hash browns
If you make more than you can eat you can easily store them to eat later. You can store them in multiple ways:
- Fridge – put them in a food container and close the lid. Put them in the fridge if you plan to eat them within 2 days
- Freezer – want to save longer put them in a freezer-friendly container. You can easily store them in the freezer for up 2 months
Reheating you potato brown
If you stored these baked hashed browns in the freezer thaw them first else preheat a skillet. Apply some cooking spray or a touch of olive oil to coat the pan.
Warm the potato patties for a couple of minutes per side. Do not overheat the pan you only want to warm the patties not brown them.
Other side dishes
If you love this side dish also take a look at these recipes:
I love this homemade hash browns. I hope you will as well!
- 4 medium floury potatoes
- 1 small onion
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Fresh black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Peel the onion as well but do not cut or slice. Take a mandolin slicer and coarsely grate the potatoes and onion
- Put the mix of potatoes and onion in a clean tea towel and squeeze out the excess liquid
- Put the potato-onion mixture in a large bowl. Beat a medium size egg and add to the mixture. Stir to combine
- Add a good pinch of salt and pepper without it the hash browns will taste bland
- Thoroughly mix the ingredients. Preheat a skillet to medium-high heat with olive oil
- Take a big spoon and put it into a round heap into the skillet. Press down to slightly flatten the patties
- Turn the heat to medium. Bake until golden brown this will take about 5 minutes before you turn them and bake the other side
- Ready to serve
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g