Vanilla pound cake is an easy recipe with most of the prep done in less than 10 minutes.
Great to serve with a cup of tea or coffee. It is soft, moist and tasty. So are you ready to learn how to make vanilla pound cake? Join me in the bistro kitchen!
If you love cake you need this recipe. This cake is a little dense but with a hint of vanilla and a sponge like texture.
A pound cake is a loaf cake that you can slice like a bread. This is a super simple cake recipe because you need less than 10 ingredients
You slide it in the oven and then all the hard work for you is done. Except for slicing it up and serving it to your family.
So in case you feel overwhelmed about baking a cake do not fear, follow the recipe and get this beautiful cake.
There are some tricks to baking the best pound cake.
It is very important to let the margarine and eggs get to room temperature before you start this recipe.
- Bake with margarine or half margarine and half butter instead of only real butter or oil. The texture of the cake is the best when made with margarine or combined with real butter
- Bake at a low temperature. By baking your cake at 300°F-325°F, you ensure a slow steady bake to keep all the moisture in the cake
- Sift the flour to prevent the number of clumps in the batter
- Mix the batter by hand instead of using a kitchen machine this will prevent you from over mixing the batter
- With baking, I highly recommend using a scale to measure the ingredients
Vanilla pound cake ingredients
So what is pound cake made of? You need the following ingredients to bake this cake:
- Margarine, room temperature
- Real butter, room temperature
- Cake flour or all-purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
- Baking powder
How to make vanilla pound cake
Before you start making this recipe let the butter and eggs get to room temperature before you start.
Preheat the oven to 325°F and brush the cake loaf pan with a little butter. Do not over grease the pan.
Take a piece of baking paper and cut to fit in the cake pan.
Measure the ingredients and put the sugar, vanilla extract, salt and butter in a big bowl.
Mix with a fork for at least 5 minutes to get a fluffy mixture.
Then add the eggs, one egg at a time. Make sure the egg is completely absorbed before adding the next egg.
Sift the flour and spoon it through the batter. Add the flour in about 4 batches to the batter.
Add the baking powder with the last batch of flour. Stir until all the flour is absorbed by the batter.
Pour the cake batter in the cake form with a spatula and level the top of the cake.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 40-45 minutes. Check with a bamboo skewer. If it comes out clean the cake is done else leave it for another 5 minutes.
Take the cake out of the oven but leave it in the cake pan and let it cool 10 minutes.
This to prevent the cake from baking. If you try to remove it straight away the cake is still expended.
Wait 10 minutes and the cake will shrink a bit so you can remove it from the pan.
Then after 10 minutes take the cake out of the cake pan and put it on a rack to cool completely.
If you leave it in the pan the cake will be to damp and stick to the pan. To prevent sticking to the pan use baking paper.
Why does my pound cake crack on top?
A pound cake often has a cracked top. This is caused by the batter and the temperature of the oven too high.
The exterior of the cake cooks first and causes the batter to rise up in the middle and crack.
If it is a big crack, reduce the temperature of your oven next time or do not use a loaf pan but a tube pan e.g.
How to store vanilla pound cake?
There are two ways to store your cake.
- Room temperature – you can keep your cake at room temperature for up to 3 days. Wrap it in some plastic.
- Freezer – you can freeze the cake and keep for up to 3 months. Tip slice your cake first so you can take out what you need and do not have to thaw the whole cake. Wrap in plastic or foil.
My cake batter split?
If your cake batter splits there can be two reasons.
- Ingredients – The butter and or eggs were too cold when you made the batter.
- Eggs – you added the eggs to fast. Add the eggs one at a time and only add the next egg when the previous egg is totally absorbed in the batter
What is the best flour for pound cake?
The best flour to use is cake flour as it a finer type of flour and has a higher protein content.
This will result in a light cake.
If you do not have cake flour add cornflour. First, remove two tablespoons of all-purpose flour and then add two tablespoons of cornflour.
Sift it at least 3 times so the cornflour and flour are completely combined.
If you only have all-purpose flour no worries you can still bake a great tasting cake.
It may be a little denser than with cake flour but still delicious.
Should I throw away my cake batter when it split?
No, not yet! Let’s try and salvage it first. Okay, the first step is to keep on stirring your batter.
You can warm the bowl au bain-marie so it gets a little warmer. Then add an additional 1 or 2 tablespoons flour.
Add 1 tablespoon and keep on beating the batter if the batter comes together you can pour it in the cake pan else add a second tablespoon.
If you still do not have a consistent soft batter it can’t be rescued.
Have fun making this simple cake recipe!
- 200-gram cake flour
- 100-gram margarine
- 100-gram real butter
- 4 eggs
- 200-gram sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Let the butter and eggs get to room temperature before you start
- Preheat the oven to 325℉. Brush the cake loaf pan with a little butter. Do not over grease the pan
- Put baking paper in the cake pan
- Measure the ingredients and put the sugar, vanilla extract, salt and butter in a big bowl
- Mix with a fork for at least 5 minutes to get a fluffy mixture
- Then add the eggs, one egg at a time. Make sure the egg is completely absorbed before adding the next egg
- Sift the flour and spoon it through the batter. Add the flour in about 4 batches to the batter.
- Add the baking powder with the last batch of flour. Stir until all the flour is absorbed by the batter
- Pour the cake batter in the cake pan with a spatula and level the top of the cake
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 40-45 minutes. Check with a bamboo skewer. If it comes out clean the cake is done else leave it for another 5 minutes
- Take the cake out of the oven but leave it in the cake pan. Let it cool 10 minutes
- This to prevent the cake from baking. If you try to remove it straight away the cake is still expended
- Wait 10 minutes and the cake will shrink so you can remove it from the pan
- After 10 minutes take the cake out of the cake pan and put it on a rack to cool completely
Recipe in cups
- 7/8 cup (margarine) butter room temperature. You can also use half margarine and half butter. This results in the best texture compact but moist
- 1⅔ cups cake flour
- 1 cup of sugar
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 62mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 0gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g